- Strategic and critical thinking leader across different sized and diverse organizations
- Proficient at crisis management and crisis response development
- Clear and effective communicator and facilitator in complex environments
- Exceptional relationship building and networking skills
- Demonstrated strong, collaborative, and transformational leadership methods
- Action orientated with an emphasis on outcome-based performance management
- Experienced at providing strategic direction and advice to boards, shareholders, and governing bodies
- Known as an efficient and effective Chairperson and consensus builder
Masters of Arts: Leadership / Royal Roads University
In progress – Completion in early 2018; Organizational Leadership Project topic is change management and evaluation of shared leadership concepts for a management team within an organization running treatment centres for Aboriginal women and youth.
Certificate Graduate / Alberta Elected Official Education Program
Completed in 2011 – 23rd Elected Official in Alberta to graduate from the program since its inception. Included courses on negotiation skills, finance and budgeting, collaboration and networking, media and communications, governance, and public engagement.
Bachelor of Arts: Political Science and Economics / Okanagan University | Concordia University College
108 credits completed between 1998-2003
Other professional development courses and workshops taken include courses on such topics as:
Emergency Management, Economic Development, Responsibilities under Human Rights Legislation,
The Future of Public Transit in Canada, Catalyzing Change-Leading Practices in Sustainability Planning, ICS for Executives (I-402), Mutual Aid, Integrating Health into Sustainable Community Planning, Fostering Healthy Communities through Active Transportation, Emergency Operations Centre Training,
Leadership in Water Management, Utility Management, Sustainable Transportation, IPPSA Power Market, Marketing and Communications., Systems Analysis, Active Research Models, Organizational Change Management, and Qualitative Research Methods.
Alberta Urban Municipalities Association
President / September 2015 – October 2017
Chair – President’s Task Force on Status of Women / January 2016 – December 2016
Director – Towns East / September 2013 – September 2015
Member or Chair – Women in Municipal Government Committee / September 2012 – September 2015; Safe and Healthy Communities Committee/ September 2013 – September 2015; Elected Officials Professional Development Committee / September 2013 – September 2015; Viability Review of Willingdon, AB
- AUMA is a provincial advocacy association that represents over 270 urban municipalities across Alberta, including summer villages, villages, towns, and cities. Originally elected in November 2013 to serve as the representative for 34 Towns on the AUMA Board of Directors, I was acclaimed as the 94th President of the Association in September of 2015 for a two-year term.
Alberta Municipal Services Corporation
Chair of the Board / September 2015 – October 2017
Member, Governance Committee / September 2015 – October 2017
- AMSC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AUMA offering business services to municipalities, employees, public entities and community-related organizations. The current business lines include general insurance, risk management services, employee benefit & retirement services, utility services, investment services, and a purchasing program. As Chair, I lead a high-performance board made up of a diverse group of industry experts and elected officials. As well, I serve as Chair of AMSC Insurance Services Board and Chair of the Board of the insurance reciprocal MUNIX.
Town of Morinville
Mayor / October 2013 – October 2017
- Morinville is a community of approx. 10,000 residents 20 minutes north of Edmonton, Alberta. As the Chief Elected Official, my role is to act as Chairperson of Council, representing our community as the main spokesperson and in a ceremonial role. I advise Council on policy development and liaise with other levels of government, work closely with administration to create and execute a strategic planning process, annual budget, long-term capital plan, and council meeting agendas.
- I have personally implemented a shared leadership model and cultivated a co-learning environment among my Council colleagues. This position required a significant amount of political savvy and strategic/critical thinking. Our team has become more outcome-based, met target goals for revising legislation and policies within the term and implemented an open and transparent public engagement process.
Councillor / October 2010 – October 2013
- As a member of Council, I championed change management and open engagement practices by creating a Finance and Audit Committee to oversee the budget and strategic planning process. Our Council also created a Municipal Sustainability Plan (MSP) to guide Morinville’s decision making through the next 35 years. I was chosen Most Effective Councillor by the Morinville News for two years and won the “Community Builder and Shaker” award in 2012. As Deputy Mayor, I assumed the role of Mayor in the summer of 2013, guiding Morinville through the difficult months following the death of the current Mayor.
Morinville Representative on several Boards, Committees and Commissions– Capital Region Board / October 2013 –October 2017; Alberta Capital Region Wastewater Commission / October 2011 – October 2013; Capital Region Board Land Use Committee /2011 – 2013; Vice-Chair, Capital Region Board Growth Plan Update Task Force / 2013 – 2017; Capital Region Board Regional Transit Committee / 2011-2013; Sturgeon Family Violence Prevention Program / 2010-2013; Northern Alberta Mayors and Reeves Caucus / October 2013 – October 2017; et al.
Federation of Canadian Municipalities
Board Director – Alberta / September 2015 – October 2017
Co-Chair – FCM/Rail Association of Canada Rail Proximity Government Relations Committee / 2017
Committee Member – Environmental Issues and Sustainable Development Committee
Committee Member – Increasing Women’s Participation in Municipal Government
Committee Member – Community and Public Safety
Committee Member – Conference Planning
Committee Member – Election Readiness
Co-Chair – Elections Committee, Alberta
- The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is an organization with significant ability to influence debate and policy, as it is a main national lobby group of mayors, councillors and other elected municipal officials. It negotiates with the Government of Canada’s departments and agencies on behalf of municipalities and administers several funds. Within my role as a Director on the National Board, I have used relationship building and networking skills, evaluated programs and services for financial and staffing efficiency as well as effectiveness, and had many opportunities to build consensus among diverse opinions and interests.
Alberta Utility Consumer Advocate Advisory Board
Board Member / September 2013 – June 2015
- Appointed by the Minister of Service Alberta to serve on the Advisory Board to represent the interest of all Alberta urban municipalities and the residential, commercial, farm and industrial consumers of electricity and natural gas that are located within them. The role included oversight of budgets, approval of regulatory intervention strategies, development of long-term strategic plans and public communication plans. This required broadening my personal knowledge in issues affecting rural and remote consumers as well as the agricultural sector.
North Central Teachers Convention Association of the Alberta Teachers’ Association
Executive Director / September 2010 – October 2015
- As the only employee, I assisted a Board of 8 volunteer members to plan, organize and execute an annual two-day professional development conference and trade show in Edmonton for over 7,000 teachers, including all Francophone teachers in Alberta. This included logistics, scheduling of over 200 sessions at over 12 different locations, liaising with over 300 speakers and presenters, coordinating the annual fundraising luncheon for School Board Trustees, communication/marketing, registration, board support, strategic planning, budgeting, and day-to-day operations. I was responsible for creating communication materials, working with the board to maintain policies, developing business relationships with vendors, partners and stakeholders, expanding service delivery, and finding cost efficiencies.
Alberta Library Trustees Association
Executive Director / July 2005 – September 2010
Within this contracted position, I was responsible for all of the day to day administration of the organization (including office management and correspondence) as well as the coordination of their Trustee Education Program (both in person and online); membership and volunteer coordination; arrangement of all board meetings and the AGM; facilitating the work of the standing committees; coordination of the Alberta Library Conference on behalf of ALTA; financial management: preparing budgets, financial reports, strategic plans, bookkeeping, grant applications and reporting; editing and distributing the newsletter; designing and maintaining the website and all social media outlets .
Ducks Unlimited Canada
Coordinator, Sealed Bid Auction Fundraising Program / September 2002 – December 2003
- Coordinated the development and operation of a pilot program for fundraising called the Sealed Bid Auction Art program under the direction of the Fundraising Manager for Northern Alberta. After a one year period, the program was accepted and rolled out nationally grossing over $2 million dollars in its second year. I was responsible for developing this business line from idea to implementation, approaching businesses to partner with the program, administrating the operation, and tracking the inventory and sales.
Awards and Acknowledgements
Chosen as Global Edmonton’s Woman of Vision for January 2017
Named as one of Avenue Magazine Top 40 under 40 Edmonton in November 2016
Named to list of Alberta Venture Magazine Top 50 Most Influential Albertans in July 2016
Appointee to the Premier’s Council on Alberta’s Promise for Children and Youth (2012-2017)
Awarded the UN International Women’s Day award for Adult Education and Mentorship (2015) from the St. Albert Baha’i Association
FCM Regional Champion for Women in Politics
Presenter – Edmonton International Women’s Film Festival February 2017
Panelist – Opening the Potential, Women’s Mentorship Program – City of Edmonton
Panelist – Let’s Talk Regional Food at Cultivating Connections 2017: Alberta Regional Food Systems Forum
Panelist – Federation of Canadian Municipalities Annual Convention – Youth Panel
Presenter – Reynolds Mirth Russell Farmer Municipal Issues Symposium
Judge – JDC West 2017: Business Taxation Case
Panelist – Alberta Land Institute Conference
Keynote Speaker – Equal Voice Edmonton North Campaign School
Panelist – Intervivos “Girl Boss YEG” women in leadership event
Speaker – 408 Tactical Helicopter Squadron Luncheon on Leadership
Participant – 25% documentary on increasing women’s participation in government
Presenter – Alberta Parks and Recreation Association Conference
Witness – House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance in 2016
Speaker – Equal Voice Alberta North #YEGEquality Speaker Series
Completed media interviews with outlets including Alberta Primetime, Edmonton Journal Editorial Board, Calgary Herald, 630 CHED Ryan Jespersen Show, CBC Edmonton, CBC Daybreak, CBC National, Global Edmonton, CTV Edmonton, Metro Edmonton, The Hill, St. Albert Gazette, Shaw TV Edmonton, Alberta Weekend News with Peter Shaw 630 CHED/770 TALK; Globe and Mail. Archived interviews available upon request.